Commercial Truck Tires FAQ’s - Service Tire Truck Centers
Title: Most Frequent Asked Questions about Commercial Truck Tires.
1. What is the availability – do you have tires in stock?
We carry the full product lines of major manufacturers such as; Michelin, Yokohama, Cooper Roadmaster, Goodyear, BFGoodrich, and Uniroyal. Call any of our locations and our trained personnel will be able to recommend a product that fits your trucking needs.
2. What is the turnaround time on retreading my tires?
At STTC we pride ourselves with producing quality retreads within a reasonable time frame. Our retreads plants are held to a one week turn time.
3. What is the turnaround time on wheel reconditioning?
For common size wheels and colors, the turn time is roughly 1 week. For special color requests and sizes the turn time might get extended during our peak season.
a. And with my new tires mounted?
- Once the reconditioned wheels are returned from the plant to your servicing location, our personnel will mount them on your tires so they are ready for delivery.
4. When can STTC install my tires?
STTC employs trained service technicians that can install tires at your fleet’s yards or at our service locations. STTC can deliver any installation solution for each fleet’s particular needs.
5. What is the proper inflation for my tires?
Each tire size has a recommended PSI, but some fleets may get better wear or fuel economy by modifying their PSI. If you have a question about your fleet’s PSI, don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our servicing locations so we can send a trained representative to inspect your tires and fleet to help you determine which PSI is best for your needs.
6. How can I tell when my tire pressure is low?
Before you take your truck or trailer on the road you should complete a pre-trip inspection. During these pre-trips check your tire’s air pressure with an air pressure gauge. If the tire pressure is less than 80% of your fleet’s air pressure level than that tire is flat and should be addressed before driving on the road.
7. How often should I check my tire pressure?
Before and after every trip and if the tire does not seem to be performing properly.
8. What are the effects of mismatched tread?
When there are two tires with mismatched tread mounted on the same axle, the tire with the lower tread (smaller circumference) will wear down faster than normal because it will be forced to scrub to catch up with the tire with the higher tread.